Sunday, February 1, 2009

Green Tea Ice cream

I bought an ice cream maker attachment for my kitchen-aid mixer..


I bought it so that I could make green tea ice cream, which is not readily available...
When I went for sushi with my family over Christmas, my nephew, four years old, ordered this ice cream and I tried some and wanted it ever since.

Making ice cream without a machine is a pain in the neck..

Anyways, the recipe for the Green tea ice cream is simple:
just 2 egg yolks mixed with 5 tablespoons of sugar in a pan
then pour 3/4 of a cup of milk in and mix...
turn the heat on low and heat it until it thickens stirring constantly...
at this point, you should have already (haha) um, mixed a tablespoon of matcha tea (green tea powder) with three tablespoons of boiling water and mix well.

so when the egg mixture has cooled, immerse the bottom of the pot in ice water, (i used snow, haha) and when its cooled, ad the matcha mixture, still with the pot in the ice.. When that's cool, then fold in 3/4 heavy cream, whipped...

then you just put it in your machine and follow their directions-- it took me 20 minutes, then i put it in the freezer in a tupperwear to get nice and hard.

You can also make any ice cream really without a machine, you just have to take it out of the freezer and stir it like every half hour... like I said, its a pain in the neck.


Oh, but this ice cream is divine. Not too sweet, not too heavy, leaves you wanting more.
mmm.. you'd better make a double batch if you go through with it.

No comments: